Parent Code of Conduct
As a parent responsible for a player in Skokie Little League, I pledge to follow this Parent Code of Conduct, designed to support Skokie core principles of sportsmanship, trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and good citizenship:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate in sports to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will inform the coach of any physical challenge or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league and will teach my child to know and play by the rules.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or team meeting.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, umpire, coach, player, parent or opponent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
- I will not encourage any behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well being of the athletes.
- My child and I will resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will ensure that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, in order to make my child feel like a winner every time.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child as opposed to just winning.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the officials and their authority during games.
- I will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field. I will speak with coaches about concerns, observations and suggestions at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am one of the official coaches of the team.
- I will know and ensure that my child adheres to the Player Code of Conduct, including the practice of good sportsmanship: winning without boasting and accepting losses with humility.
I understand that failing to behave in accordance with this Parent Code of Conduct may result in immediate removal from the sports facility and suspension from the following game. Repeat violations may cause a multiple game suspension, or forfeiture of the privilege of attending the season’s remaining games, at the discretion of Skokie Little League Board of Directors.
I understand that my child’s failure to behave in accordance with the Player Code of Conduct may result in suspension or removal from Skokie Little League, at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
Registration for Skokie Little League indicates a parent’s agreement with this policy.