As a coach entrusted with leading a team in Skokie Little League, I pledge to follow this Coach Code of Conduct, designed to support Skokie core principles of sportsmanship, trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and good citizenship:
- I will remember that children participate in sports to have fun and that the game is for youth, not adults.
- I will know of and respect all players’ physical challenges or ailments about which I am informed, discouraging behaviors or practices that would endanger the health and well being of the athletes.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league and will teach players to know and play by the rules.
- I will be a positive role model for my team’s players and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game, practice or team meeting.
- I will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any board member, official, umpire, coach, player, parent, spectator or opponent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures; or I will not speak negatively about a board member, official, umpire, coach, player, parent, spectator or opponent and will not allow players to do so. I will respect the officials and their authority during games.
- I will resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence and will ensure players do the same.
- I will ensure that players treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex or ability.
- I will teach my team that doing one’s best is more important than winning.
- I will praise players for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at any player for making a mistake or losing a game.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit the team as opposed to just winning.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well-being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my team to win.
- I will speak with parents about concerns, observations and suggestions at an agreed upon time and place other than during practices or games.
- I will demand a sports environment for my team that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will refrain from their use before and during practices, workouts, games and other league events.
- I will be aware of the potential for favoritism if my child is a player on the team I coach and will take care to ensure fairness.
- I will not tamper with nor manipulate any league rosters, schedules, draft positions or selections, official score books, rankings, financial records or procedures.
- I will know and ensure that all players on my team adhere to the Player Code of Conduct, including the practice of good sportsmanship: winning without boasting and accepting losses with humility.
- I will know and ensure that all parents of players on my team adhere to the Parent Code of Conduct.
I understand that failing to behave in accordance with this Coach Code of Conduct may result suspension or removal from a coaching role (and Board Member role, if applicable) with Skokie Little League, at the discretion of the (remaining) Board of Directors.
Additional Coach Expectations